Creating Personalised Vows
(These are all available to choose/mix and match on the planning your ceremony document)
Over the last few years, many more couples are ‘creating’ their own vows. I don’t like to use the word ‘write’ as it brings back memories for many of a pen and a blank piece of paper at school!
When Creating Personalised Vows, you must include the legal component:
“I call upon the persons present to witness that I (Full First Name Minimum) take you (Full First Name Minimum) to be my wedded wife/husband.”
Then, you can say whatever you like! You can use these as is, mix and match them or just as inspiration to write your own vows.
There are many resources out there such as Pinterest, wedding websites, forums, Google, to help you with inspiration, as well as my ideas of set vows, too, at the end.
If you find something you like, GO FOR IT! Don’t reinvent the wheel. But if you haven’t, consider the following:
Try filling in the blanks to create your vows (see suggestions underneath).
(Name of your partner)
- Have encouraged my personal growth
- Are my best friend and one true love
- Are my truest and closest friend
- Captured my heart
- Are always by my side
- Are the love of my life
- Support me when I need you
- Are every reason, every hope and every dream I’ve ever had
- The one I want to spend the rest of my life with
- You showed me what true love actually is
- Are my soulmate, my best friend, my lover
- Are my life and I am yours
- I promise:
- To you that I’ll remain the same person you fell in love with all those years ago
- That I will continue to be there to encourage and inspire you
- To respect you as an equal
- To enjoy life with you
- To create memories that will make us smile
- To you that we have found our happily ever after
- To love you unconditionally
- To treat you the way you want to be treated
- To live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home
- To never forget that this is a once in a lifetime love
- To look after and take care of you
- That I will be faithful, your loving partner
- I …
- Love you for loving me for who I am
- Love you for not only how you are, but for who I am when I’ with you
- Love you because you challenge ne to be a better person
- Love you because we create adventures together
- Love you … I am who I am because of you
- Will always be here, standing by your side
- Will cherish our marriage, and love you more and more each day
- Will treat you as my best friend and equal
- Will be your best friend
- Vow to trust and value your opinions
- Vow to help you love life
- Vow to fiercely love you in all your forms, now and forever
- Am so proud of all you have achieved
- Am grateful that you picked me
- Trust you with my life, love you with all my heart
- Belong in your arms
- Give myself to you as your wife/husband/partner
- Eagerly anticipate the chance to grow together and fall in love a little more each day
- Have found that “someone” at last
- Wake up each day smiling
- Extras/Conclusion …
- Whatever road we travel down, and wherever life takes us, I will always be by your side.
- Thank you for being all that you are
- I will always be yours and … you will always be mine.
- Your hand always feels comfortable in mine
- Through our union we can accomplish more than I could ever do alone
- And above all, regardless of the obstacles we will face in this life, I vow to love you, from this
day on, forever and always
- I am in this wonderful place, which I never believed really existed
- Forever and always
Remember, KEEP IT REAL!
Stay authentic and be true to yourself with your vows
See below for an even more personalised approach to Creating Personalised Vows.
Answer some simple questions about your partner!
Even if you don’t think the answer will end up in your wedding vows, still take the time to write it
down. It may help you in the long run. If you encounter writer’s block, first try taking a short break. If
you’re still having trouble, jot down what you can and come back to it later. If you have any cards
that you’ve given each other over the years, these words may help too.
What is the single greatest thing/s about the person you are going to marry?
When did you know that you were in love/ know that this person was the one you wanted to
What is your most favorite memory of your partner?
What is it that you share together?
What is so special about your love?
What do you want everyone to know about your love for your partner?
What is the most important thing/s you want to promise to your partner? What is the
promise you most want to hear from them? (For example, it might be really important to
you to promise that you will always respect them, support them…)
What will change about your relationship once you are married? What will stay the same?
What would you like to continue about your relationship?
Then, put it all together and BAM! You have your vows.
Send to me for feedback if you like.
Or Choose/Mix and Match from the following pages for help in Creating personalised vows.
NO. 1 – To have and to hold, from this day forward, to love and to cherish, for better for worse, for richer for
poorer, in sickness and in health, while we both shall live.
NO. 2 – I want to be with you always, just as you are. I will take you in my arms when you need to be held. I will listen when you need to talk. I will laugh with you in times of joy, and comfort you in times of sadness. I will love you for who you are, and help you to become all that you can be. I will grow old with you. (I will age gracefully with you.)
NO. 3 – I declare my love for you. I invite you to share my life as my husband/wife. I promise always to respect your needs, and to accept you as you are. I will be kind, unselfish and trusting. I will work for a happy life for both of us.
NO. 4 – I want to be with you always just as you are. I choose you above all others, to share my life with me in marriage. I love you for yourself, and I want you to become all that you can be. I promise to honour this pledge as long as I live.
NO. 5 – For all the time we have been together, there has always been the kind of love and understanding which is only shared when there is true love. You have helped me become the person I am today. I love the way you love and care for me. Today as we begin our lives as husband and wife, I commit myself to you.
NO. 6 – To say I love you is not enough. I appreciate how tender and caring you are. I appreciate the strength you give when I need it. But if to say I love you means all these things, then let me say, I love you more each day.
NO. 7 – You are my best friend and my one true love. When I’m with you, I feel I can be the person I want to be, and I cannot imagine my life without you. Today, I want to make a promise to you and to myself, in front of our friends and family, to love and honour, protect and respect you for the rest of my life.
NO. 8 – I vow to trust and value your opinions, and stand by your actions. I will ask for help when I need it, and offer help when necessary. Let us be friends and lovers, and grow old together. And let us
make the years of our lives together the best years of our lives. For now and forever.
NO. 9 – You are my best friend and one of my favourite pests. You are my strength and you are
kindhearted. You have always managed to help me through bad times and I cannot imagine my life
without you. Today, I want to make a promise to you and to myself, in front of our friends and
family, to love, honour and protect you for all the days of my life.
NO. 10 – I will be a loving husband/wife. I promise to respect and encourage your fulfillment as an individual. I want to continue to build on the love and friendship which we have developed during our time together. I will love you through good fortune and adversity, while we both shall live.
NO. 11 – I treasure the bond we have together, and the strength of our friendship. I love your sensitivity, I love your caring nature and enthusiasm. I promise to love and support you always. I am proud to be your husband/wife.
NO.12 – (Name), my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we may face together. I give you my hand, my heart, and my love, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live.
NO. 13 – Loving what I know of you, and trusting what I do not yet know. I eagerly anticipate the chance to grow together, getting to know the person you will become, and falling in love a little more every day. I promise to love and cherish you through whatever life may bring us.
NO. 14 – I promise to be true to you, to cherish you, and to share my thoughts, hopes and dreams with you. In your eyes, I have found my home. In your heart, I have found love. In your soul, I have found my mate. I look forward to spending the rest of my life with you. I will love you forever.